For Volunteer Advisors
Use your unique skills to help small business owners create
economic opportunity in low-income communities.
Make An Impact
Small businesses with a mentor succeed at twice the national average. As an advisor, you’ll have the opportunity to:
- Use your unique skills and hard-earned business knowledge to help small business owners create new jobs in lower-income communities
- Serve as a mentor by working with a small business owner to discuss their challenges and give specialized advice and guidance to grow their business
- If you can, open your network to small business owners to empower them to strengthen local economies across America
Help a small business create new jobs for working people in their local communities. Don’t worry if you’ve never worked for or run your own small business. We’ll match you with the right small business based on what you can contribute. When small businesses thrive, our entire economy thrives.
Sign up here >
Please note: At this time we can only enroll mentors located in the United States or Canada. You can sign up using your email address or LinkedIn account — whatever’s easier!
How It Works
Share Your Skills And Create Real Community Impact
Our ideal advisors and mentors usually meet the following criteria:
- Functional expertise in areas such as: marketing, sales, finance, HR, manufacturing, operations, and general ownership or management
- Commitment to working with your matched small business owner for at least 5 hours per month. Willingness to participate in regularly sent partnership surveys and an annual evaluation about how we can improve the program.
- Interest in local economic development and entrepreneurship
- Located in the United States or Canada
- Volunteer advising can be done in person, or through email, phone, or Skype — whatever’s easiest for you
As a volunteer business mentor or advisor, you’ll be able to:
- Serve as a mentor by meeting with a small business owner to discuss their company’s challenges and give specialized advice and guidance to grow their business
- Advisors are asked to spend, on average, 5 hours per month volunteering
- If possible, open your network to small business owners and fellow volunteer advisers
- Serve as an expert panelist for an entrepreneurial educational event (helpful, but not required)
What Browsers Are Supported
Chrome (42 and up, on mobile and desktop), Safari (on mobile and desktop), Internet Explorer (11 and up), and Firefox.
Meet A Few Of Our Companies
Meet the small business owners that have created quality jobs and economic opportunities in their neighborhoods by working with an advisor.See our success stories >